Neck pain can be a debilitating condition, impacting a patient’s ability to perform daily activities. While traditional treatments such as medication or physical therapy may provide temporary relief, some individuals may require more specialized interventions. Radiofrequency ablation Los Angeles treatments are minimally-invasive and can provide long-lasting relief for chronic neck pain. For more insight, our team at Interventional Pain Doctors has outlined what patients can expect during and after the procedure.
Understanding Radiofrequency Ablation
Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) involves using heat generated from radiofrequency energy to disrupt nerves from sending pain signals throughout the body. With this targeted approach, radiofrequency ablation Los Angeles treatments can provide long-term pain relief compared to over-the-counter medications or topical treatments.
Benefits of Radiofrequency Ablation for Neck Pain Relief:
- Minimally-invasive procedure (short downtime)
- Less reliance on pain medication for relief
- Precise targeting of affected nerves
- Patients can repeat RFA treatments as needed
RFA Procedure Explained:
- Our Los Angeles doctors will first administer a local anesthetic to numb the affected area.
- Under fluoroscopic guidance (real-time X-ray imaging), our doctors insert a thin needle near the targeted nerves.
- The patient may receive a sedative to help them relax throughout the procedure.
- Once in position, an electrode is inserted through the needle, sending a mild electrical current to heat the surrounding nerve tissue.
- This heat destroys the nerves, reducing or eliminating pain signals sent to the brain.
What to Expect
As an outpatient procedure, patients can normally return home the same day after radiofrequency ablation Los Angeles treatments. The procedure can take 30 minutes to an hour to complete. Patients should not drive at least 24 hours after the procedure. Though rare, mild side effects can occur.
Potential Side Effects:
- Slight discomfort during the procedure (alleviated by local anesthesia or sedatives)
- Soreness at the injection site (usually subsides within a few days)
- Mild headaches or dizziness
Consider Radiofrequency Ablation Los Angeles Treatments
Patients suffering from chronic neck pain should consider radiofrequency ablation Los Angeles treatments to help combat their symptoms. At Interventional Pain Doctors, we specialize in providing patients with personalized care and treatment plans to help manage their chronic pain. Our team of experts can help determine if radiofrequency ablation is the right treatment option for you and guide you through the process. Browse our innovative radiofrequency treatment options to learn more about RFA and our other interventional approaches.