Neuropathic pain is a prevalent condition caused by a chronic, progressive nerve disease or a traumatic injury to nerve tissue. Symptoms of neuropathic conditions include sharp or shooting pain, tingling, numbness, and weakness in affected areas or bodily systems. While neuropathic pain can be debilitating, those living with chronic pain can choose from effective treatment options for managing their pain levels and improving their overall quality of life. For more insight, our team at Interventional Pain Doctors has outlined the common neuropathic pain conditions and the different treatments a pain specialist Los Angeles may suggest.
Diabetes is a chronic metabolic disorder characterized by high blood sugar levels resulting from the body's inability to produce or effectively use insulin. Long-term uncontrolled diabetes can damage nerves—particularly in the extremities—and result in diabetic neuropathy.
Symptoms of Diabetic Neuropathy:
- Pain, tingling, and numbness in the hands or feet
- Digestive problems
- Urinary tract problems
- Sexual dysfunction
Treatments for Diabetic Neuropathy:
- Physical therapy exercises
- Lifestyle modifications (managing blood sugar levels, maintaining a healthy diet, aerobic exercise)
- Alternative therapies to alleviate pain (acupuncture, PRP therapy Los Angeles, etc.)
Postherpetic neuralgia is a type of neuropathic pain that occurs following an outbreak of shingles (herpes zoster). After the shingles rash subsides, our pain specialist Los Angeles can help patients who continue to experience severe pain in the affected area.
Symptoms of Postherpetic Neuralgia:
- Persistent burning, sharp, stabbing, or shooting pain often localized to the specific area on the skin where the rash was present
- Skin hypersensitivity
- Numbness or tingling
- Sleep disturbances
Treatments for Postherpetic Neuralgia:
- Topical numbing patches or creams
- Nerve block injections
- Neuromodulation (spinal cord stimulation)
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic autoimmune disorder that affects the central nervous system. MS damages the protective coating that surrounds nerve fibers, leading to communication problems between the brain and the rest of the body.
Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis:
- Fatigue and weakness
- Muscle spasms
- Numbness or tingling in the limbs
- Vision problems
Treatments for Multiple Sclerosis:
- Physical therapy exercises for improved mobility and strength
- Lifestyle modifications for a healthy weight and body stress levels
- Radiofrequency ablation Los Angeles treatments for nerve pain relief
Consult With Our Pain Specialist Los Angeles
Neuropathic pain conditions can significantly impact an individual's quality of life. With proper diagnosis and treatment from our team at Interventional Pain Doctors, patients can effectively manage their neuropathic pain conditions. Our dedicated pain specialist Los Angeles is here to help those suffering regain control of their life and improve their well-being. Discover all of our innovative treatment approaches to combating neuropathic pain and regain control over your life.